Wednesday, August 28, 2013
I happened to drive by the Community Garden at Curtis and Downing on August 6th and was surprised to see an overgrown weed patch, dry as a bone in the summer sun. I parked and took these pictures.
Later, on the Facebook page of Engage 8 I found pictures of the creation of this garden around May of 2012.
Councilman helps form nonprofit
Engage 8 gathers ideas from community, seeks solutions to issues
The mission of Engage8 is to enrich and empower the residents of District 8. We do this by supporting their ideas, building upon their strengths, sustaining existing community organizations, encouraging civic activity and developing innovative initiatives.
Our community is in a unique position to become the model for socially-oriented community development. We have dedicated, passionate, and active leaders. The soil is fertile; now is the time to begin planting the seeds of change by building collaborations that achieve sustainable outcomes.
|Levi Johnsen, current Director of Engage 8|
I called Engage 8 and spoke at length with Levi Johnsen, the current director, about the project.
He was very helpful and, after researching further called me back with some of the history. Tony Pigford, the former director and founder of Engage 8, had organized the project. There was no water tap available at the site, and although Engage 8 had $2,500 for obtaining a water tap, Denver Water quoted a price of $8,500 to provide water at the site. In the meantime, YouthBiz Inc., also a not-for-profit, and the owner of the land, had subsequently put the property on the market for sale.
|Brandy Bertram, Executive Director of YouthBiz, Inc.|
Digging in the property tax records revealed:
and a bit of history, including the original sale by the City and County of Denver to YouthBiz, Inc. in 2008.
at 8:42 AM
- Development at 22nd and Marion - meeting onsite to...
- Deserted garden in the food desert at Curtis and D...
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - August 26, 201...
- Intellectual Rape of Colorado Product developers f...
- Plastic bag tax - what are the facts?
- Colorado public bank amendment (2014), Title Board...
- What is the Office of the Independent Monitor?
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - August 20, 201...
- City Park West Neighborhood
- How is a “reusable” bag defined?
- Udall plays both sides of the fence
- Billy Whitfield and Wes McKinley at Merle's in Lit...
- Stop the Greed
- Udall excludes Piñon Canyon critics from closed-do...
- Where are the free schools for Colorado kids 18 - ...
- Earth Mountain Farm hippies annual festival near T...
- 2013 National Night Out Events (Tonight Aug.6, 201...
- Forest fires a result of cloud-seeding?
- Red Cross Training
- Denver Community Emergency Response Training (Denv...
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.