Denver Direct: ‘ELEPHANT’ TO BE CHAINED TO GROUND AS RINGLING BRINGS THE CRUELEST SHOW ON EARTH TO DENVER
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
PETA Zeroes in on Circus’s Violent Treatment of Baby Elephants
A PETA member wearing an elephant costume will be chained and held to the ground outside the Denver Coliseum on Thursday while the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus forces animals to perform under threat of punishment inside. Other PETA supporters will hold signs that read, “This Is Baby Elephant Training.” PETA’s point? That a former Ringling employee turned whistleblower furnished PETA with photos that reveal how baby elephants used by Ringling are stretched out, slammed to the ground, gouged with steel-tipped bullhooks, and shocked with electric prods. These abusive sessions go on for several hours a day in order to force the baby elephants to learn to perform circus tricks out of fear of punishment. The photos—and other damning evidence of Ringling’s abuse of animals—can be seen in a video narrated by actor Alec Baldwin.
“Denver residents would run screaming from the big top if they knew how baby elephants are violently forced to perform difficult, confusing, and sometimes painful tricks,” says PETA Foundation Director of Captive Animal Law Enforcement Delcianna Winders. “Since children love animals, the last place that parents and grandparents should take them to is the circus.”
Late last year, Ringling paid $270,000—the largest fine in circus history—for violations of the Animal Welfare Act.
Outside the Denver Coliseum, 4600 Humboldt St. (near the intersection of 44th Street and Arkins Court), Denver
Thursday, September 27, 12 noon
at 9:30 AM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 30, 201...
- 'ELEPHANT' TO BE CHAINED TO GROUND AS RINGLING BRI...
- Denver's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Sept 22, 2012
- Fair Food and Farmworker Justice at Chipotle Festi...
- October Naysayer by Phil Goodstein
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 24, 201...
- Rock 'n' Roll Marathon today, Sat., 9-22-12
- Breaking news on proposed Walmart at 9th and Color...
- The Fix is In
- The Legacy of Michael Bennet, our Senator
- Gov. Hickenlooper Longmont visit draws oil, gas pr...
- Aurora Schools Tax Hike - Because they are entitle...
- The “bad for children” argument against legalizing...
- Ballot Issues Forum September 24
- Urban Drool
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 17, 201...
- "We are unstoppable, another world is possible"
- Live Stream from NYC
- Denver City Councilwoman Faatz does a survey of he...
- Benefit for the Whiteclay Legal Support Fund
- Tell Gov Hickenlooper not to sue Longmont for prot...
- 2012 Ballot Issues
- Editorial: Why Denver Citizens Groups Always Seem ...
- Farmworkers protest Denver Chipotle festival
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept 9, 2012
- Walmart Rolls Over Neighborhood Groups
- Last Minute News
- Time for Urbanites to Weigh in on Chatfield
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 3, 2012...
- The Walmart Debate Comes to INC
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.