Denver Direct: Hotel workers get contract back
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
By Dave Felice
Employees of the Hyatt Regency hotel in Denver celebrate their Unite HERE Local 14 union contract
with their clerical representatives, Daniel Klawitter (center left) and Aaron McEmrys (center right).
with a union workforce are celebrating restoration of their
collective bargaining agreement. With help from several advocates on
the Denver City Council, employees at the city-owned Hyatt Regency
now have a contract running until 2013.
Local 14 workers were shocked to learn that because of what was
termed a “legal technicality,” Hyatt would no longer recognize
the union as the exclusive bargaining agent. The contract has
finally been reinstated after a year of negotiations.
14 gathered at Emily Griffith Opportunity School to
observe the contract restoration success. City Council members Chris
Nevitt, Paul Lopez, Susan Shepherd, Robin Kneich, and Debbie Ortega
joined the observance.
in reducing the housekeeping work load at the hotel, as well as
securing affordable health care and better wages for the hotel staff.
criticize Hyatt for mistreatment, disparagement, and mistreatment of
rallied on International Women’s Day, March 9, to protest the
firing of two women at the Hyatt Hotel in Santa Clara.
Denver Direct. The home delivery newspaper does not carry the story.
Critics claim management of The Denver Post has a strong bias
against organized labor.
Update: “Both sides are to be commended for the peaceful settlement of the labor dispute at the Hyatt. This strong and diverse workforce stayed united and focused on their goal of seeing the contract honored, and after a long period, the Hyatt finally agreed with City Councilmembers that it was in the best interests of the City and the Hotel to honor their contract and avoid an unnecessary legal battle. I commend them for doing so.” Councilwoman Robin Kniech.
at 10:55 PM
- Hotel workers get contract back
- Abolish Private Prisons in Colorado
- Walkabout - March 27, 2012
- PROMOTE GENDER EQUITY and JUSTICE WITHIN THE DENVE...
- Open letter to Denver Councilwoman Kniech from Tom...
- Backstage Past - book review by Phil Goodstein
- People's Fair Auditions - Free
- Personal Observations: Testifying before Committe...
- The man Al Gore refuses to debate will be in Denve...
- Serious negative effects on CenturyLink's customer...
- New Obama Executive Order Allows Slavery
- Civic Center Park closures
- Denver Police & Crime Stoppers teaming up to get i...
- Lynn Bartels tweeting from the Capitol
- March 12th Rally to Protect Women’s Health
- A Public Statement to the Parks and Recreation Adv...
- From NORML
- Congratulations Sen. Mike Johnston
- He's an Old Cowhand
- The explanation
- Women's self-defense class
- What I haven't heard in Colorado's discussion of s...
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.