Denver Direct: “Japan Dolphins Day” Activists to Demonstrate Outside Denver Japanese Consulate
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Protesting Slaughter of more than 20,000 Dolphins in Japan Each Year
Denver-A group of local activists plan a peaceful demonstration against the slaughter of dolphins in the coastal waters of Japan, which annually resumes in the first week of September. The demonstration is to draw attention to the annual killing of thousands of dolphins and small whales.
Date: Thursday, September 1 Time: 11a.m. to 3p.m.
Place: Japanese Consulate, 1225 17th Street, in Downtown Denver
The Denver rally will be held in conjunction with demonstrations in over 28 cities worldwide for ‘Japan Dolphins Day 2011’. The date coincides with the opening day of the dolphin killing season in Taiji, Japan, the village featured in the film, ‘The Cove’, Academy Award Winner for Best Documentary, 2009
“The Cove” was produced by Boulder non-profit, Oceanic Preservation Society (OPS), who will be in attendance to show their support.
Ric O’Barry, who starred in “The Cove”, encourages volunteers to join the demonstrations. O’Barry has founded an organization called “Save Japan Dolphins” (www.savejapandolphins.org)
Organizers emphasize they want to honor the dolphins and ask the Japanese people to give up the hunt. This is not an anti-Japanese demonstration, it is simply intended to end the largest single slaughter of dolphins still being held.
Reasons for the hunt range from; food production, “pest control” (the perceived notion that dolphins consume too many fish), time-honored local traditions, to the capture of dolphins who will spend their lives in captivity in dolphin shows. “Even if selling dolphins to aquariums makes money for the fishermen of Taiji and other Japanese coastal towns, it does not justify killing the remainder to obtain the most toxic meat in the world in terms of lead, mercury, and radioactive pollution”. Jim Drevescraft, Volunteer, Earth Island Institute
For additional information, go here.
at 4:31 PM
- What's in the Heart, cannot be taken
- Secret THC/DUI meetings held in apparent violation...
- Good idea, and it's free!
- re: Dick Cheney, war criminal
- Central Denver Road Closures
- Get Out The Map
- Mayor Hancock Announces Appointment of Manager of ...
- We all know that recycled water is going to Washin...
- Thank you Sen. Bernie Sanders
- "Japan Dolphins Day" Activists to Demonstrate Outs...
- You didn't think Fukushima was over, did you?
- When did...
- New movie on Rocky Flats workers
- Hancock bars recording at press conferences? Seems...
- What's wrong with us?
- Here we go - into the financial abyss
- FYI - Denver City Council Members (August 2011)
- I Love Colorado but not this unfortunate video
- Did Bennet and Easley lie about the DPS deal?
- Get used to it...
- Aurora Citizens Group Fights Back Against Gaylord ...
- In the gutter
- Final road paving on York Street in Denver
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.