Denver Direct: Boulder, Colorado Occupies the Ballot Box and Calls for End to “Corporate Personhood”
Thursday, November 3, 2011
Ground Breaking Ballot Measure Calls for Constitutional Amendment
BOULDER, CO – Last night Boulder became the second city in the nation to pass a ballot measure calling for an amendment to the US Constitution that would state that corporations are not people and reject the legal status of money as free speech. At midnight, with 93% of the ballots counted, the measure was handily winning with 74% of voters in support.
Boulder’s campaign is the latest grassroots effort by Move to Amend, a national coalition working to abolish corporate personhood. “From Occupy Wall Street to Boulder, Colorado and every town in between, Americans are fed up with corporate dominance of our political system,” said Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, a national spokesperson for Move to Amend. “Local resolution campaigns are an opportunity for citizens to speak up and let it be known that we won’t accept the corporate takeover of our government lying down. We urge communities across the country to join the Move to Amend campaign and raise your voices.”
Earlier this year voters in Madison and Dane County, Wisconsin overwhelmingly approved similar measures calling for an end to corporate personhood and the legal status of money as speech by 84% and 78% respectively. Next week voters in Missoula, Montana will have an opportunity to vote on a similar initiative in their community. Move to Amend volunteers in dozens of communities across the country are working to place similar measures on local ballots next year.
“Today’s ‘corporate personhood’ referendum in Boulder, Colorado is the latest message from the American people to state and federal legislators on the need for a Constitutional Amendment,” said Congresswoman Donna Edwards (D-MD). “The Supreme Court’s misguided Citizens’ United ruling burst open the floodgates of corporate spending in our elections, but it also unleashed a wave of public outcry over the need to put individuals, not corporations, in control of our elections. The results from today are just one example that we must take action to protect our treasured democracy.”
Edwards introduced a bill last month for a Constitutional amendment that would overturn the controversial Supreme Court’s ruling in the Citizens United case.
“Working on this campaign was electrifying,” said Scott Silber, a local Move to Amend organizer in Boulder. “We had such an outpouring of enthusiasm from our community. Folks were so thrilled to finally have an opportunity to have their voices heard and resoundingly call for an end to corporate corruption of our democracy. From here we’re taking the campaign to Denver, and then on to Washington, DC.”
Move to Amend’s strategy is to pass community resolutions across the nation through city councils and through direct vote by ballot initiative. “Our plan is build a movement that will drive this issue into Congress from the grassroots. The American people are behind us on this and our federal representatives will see that we mean business. Our very democracy is at stake,” stated Sopoci-Belknap.
For a complete list of all resolutions passed to date see: http://movetoamend.org/resolutions-map.
at 7:17 AM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- Philly cops use "Trigger" in Occupy crowd control
- Occupy LA preparing for police invasion
- Occupy Unity takes over Washington State capitol i...
- Occupy Denver Friday, Nov 25, 2011
- PRESS RELEASE
- HOLIDAY IN THE POINTS LIGHTS UP WELTON STREET
- 13th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing ...
- Denver Police Urge Reporting Suspicious Actions Do...
- Occupy Denver live stream now
- Occupy Denver 11-17-11
- OWS taking over the streets in NYC
- Nov 17th - A day of live streaming
- Occupy Denver - Be There
- Living (and driving) in a police state
- Occupy Wall Street under siege
- ACTION ALERT: Board of Health Patient Rulemaking H...
- Paul M. Levitt: Homage to Adrienne Anderson
- DPD war on tents (and tables)
- Occupy Denver reponds to ongoing police brutality ...
- Occupy Portland - Live streaming
- Occupy Denver Live Stream
- Adrienne Anderson's Memorial - Nov. 6, 2011
- Developers are targeting open land on the north en...
- OCCUPY DENVER ELECTS LEADER
- Occupy Denver 11-3-11:"Livin' in the Land Where th...
- Boulder, Colorado Occupies the Ballot Box and Call...
- OCCUPY DENVER HONORS VETERANS & TAKES ACTION AGAIN...
- Michael Moore to visit Occupy Denver
- DABC update from 3 weeks of social war in Denver, ...
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.