Denver Direct: 13th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
The 13th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run begins Thursday November 24, 2011, at the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site. The run is an annual event coordinated by the Northern Cheyenne Tribe of Montana with support from the Northern Arapaho Tribe of Wyoming, the Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes of Oklahoma, the National Park Service, Town of Eads, Kiowa County, the Denver organizing committee, and History Colorado to honor those killed at the massacre. This year’s event marks the 147th Anniversary of the Sand Creek Massacre.
Activities associated with the run will commence with a Prayer Ceremony at the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site. The event will conclude in the afternoon of Saturday, November 26, on the steps of the west lawn of the Colorado State Capitol, followed by a reception for participants at the Denver Indian Center.
Schedule of events: (all times are approximate)
Thursday, Nov. 24
9 AM – Pipe Ceremony and prayer at the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site 55411 County Road W – Approximately 8 miles north of the intersection of Kiowa County Road 54 and State Highway 96, near the town of Chivington CO.
Runners will be blessed and the annual Spiritual Healing Run to Denver will commence, followed by a meal in Eads, CO.
Friday, Nov. 25
7 AM – Sunrise Ceremony – To Be Determined, The ‘Healing Run’ will continue on to Denver.
7 PM – Candlelight Vigil at the Denver Art Museum Wheel sculpture,100 West 14th Avenue Parkway, Denver, CO.
Saturday, Nov. 26
8 AM – Honoring Ceremony at Riverside Cemetery, 5201 Brighton Boulevard, Denver, for Captain Silas Soule, and Lt. Joseph A. Cramer, U.S. Army. Both men instructed their troops not to fire at the massacre.
9 AM – Continue ‘Healing Run’ from Riverside Cemetery to 15th and Arapahoe, Denver, CO.
9:50 AM – At 15th and Arapahoe — near the site where Captain Silas Soule was assassinated — the runners will join with walkers and continue on to the Colorado State Capitol Building.
11 AM – Presentation on the steps of the Colorado State Capitol Building (West Lawn side) 4 miles distance – MUST REGISTER TO RUN
Noon reception – Location To Be Determined
For additional information about the Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run/Walk, please call run organizer Otto Braided Hair (406) 749 4325.
EXPERIENCE YOUR AMERICA™
The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage.
To learn more contact Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site at 719-438-5916 or www.nps.gov/sand .
The Sand Creek Massacre site is located at 55411 County Road W, 23 miles from Eads, CO. To drive to the site take Colorado Hwy. 287 near Eads, or west off Hwy 385 at Sheridan Lake. Near Chivington, turn north onto Chief White Antelope Way (County Road 54) or at Brandon, turn north onto County Road 59. Follow either road to its entrance with County Road W, one mile east (right) of its intersection with County Road 54, or several miles west (left) of County Rd. 59. Hours of operation at the site are from Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM. The park headquarters is located at 910 Wansted, in Eads, CO. The hours of operation at the park headquarters are Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM except Federal holidays.
at 8:36 AM
- Philly cops use "Trigger" in Occupy crowd control
- Occupy LA preparing for police invasion
- Occupy Unity takes over Washington State capitol i...
- Occupy Denver Friday, Nov 25, 2011
- PRESS RELEASE
- HOLIDAY IN THE POINTS LIGHTS UP WELTON STREET
- 13th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing ...
- Denver Police Urge Reporting Suspicious Actions Do...
- Occupy Denver live stream now
- Occupy Denver 11-17-11
- OWS taking over the streets in NYC
- Nov 17th - A day of live streaming
- Occupy Denver - Be There
- Living (and driving) in a police state
- Occupy Wall Street under siege
- ACTION ALERT: Board of Health Patient Rulemaking H...
- Paul M. Levitt: Homage to Adrienne Anderson
- DPD war on tents (and tables)
- Occupy Denver reponds to ongoing police brutality ...
- Occupy Portland - Live streaming
- Occupy Denver Live Stream
- Adrienne Anderson's Memorial - Nov. 6, 2011
- Developers are targeting open land on the north en...
- OCCUPY DENVER ELECTS LEADER
- Occupy Denver 11-3-11:"Livin' in the Land Where th...
- Boulder, Colorado Occupies the Ballot Box and Call...
- OCCUPY DENVER HONORS VETERANS & TAKES ACTION AGAIN...
- Michael Moore to visit Occupy Denver
- DABC update from 3 weeks of social war in Denver, ...
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.