Denver Direct: Citizen Squeeze
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Governments at all level are putting the squeeze on their citizens by inventing new ways to charge, tax, fine, assess, ticket, and inflate the money out of them. I’ve previously referred to Denver’s ridiculous OPT (Occupational “Privilege” Tax) and the new registration fee imposed on those paying this tax. Here’s a new one.
I am the owner of a small business I started in 1980. We are a Chapter S Corporation. We have to file an annual 1120S Federal Income Tax Form, which is due, illogically, on March 15.
For the past few years, this business has lost money. In the past, if nothing was owed, it did not matter if it was filed late. That has changed.
I received a notice from the IRS that I owed a penalty of $356.00 for filing late. This was calculated at $89.00 per shareholder for each month the filing was late, and they erroneously calculated that it was 2 months late. (We only have two shareholders, but image the penalty if you had 1000 shareholders.)
I knew it was only one month late, because in order to file the rest of my IRS forms on April 15, after the local post office had closed, I had to drive out to the old Stapleton Postal Center in order to get it in before midnight. Remember when they used to make a big deal about how you could file after hours downtown? They would have news crews downtown to catch procrastinators filing at the last minute.
Well, no more. No staying open late to accommodate procrastinators. So we had to drive an extra 5 miles to pay after 5:00 pm. Hundreds of cars were flooding into the Postal Center that night.
Today I called the IRS to question the penalty for not filing a form stating I owed nothing. The agent explained that yes, this was a change from last year. Now you will be penalized for a late filing even if you owe nothing. But she hastened to add that there was also a First Time Penalty Removal option that I could get by merely asking for it.
I asked for it, she removed the penalty, and now I owe nothing. Good outcome this year, but be forewarned – late filing of a form, even if you owe nothing, you will be penalized.
The Citizen Squeeze is on. Expect more of the same at every level.
The Taxman – The Beatles
at 1:27 PM
- Not the Time for Apathy
- Denver's Duck (Death) Pond 6-28-10
- Associate Naysayer of the Month - Jerry Wartgow
- Dead Duck Lake
- Naysayer of the Month - Tom Strickland
- Denver Councilwoman Johnson Not Running for Anothe...
- Party Parks to be "Activated"
- Candidate Bob McConnell at PCEOC Festival
- Rep. Wes McKinley at PCEOC Festival
- Candidate Lisa Grace-Kellogg at PCEOC Festival
- Congressman John Salazar at PCEOC Festival
- PCEOC Festival
- Robotic Warfare in Colorado?
- Duck, Duck, Goose - Continued
- Duck, Duck, Goose
- Shingle Mountain in Elyria
- That Pesky Purple Pipe Water
- On the Road - McKinley and Romanoff in Trinidad
- Jim Hightower
- See you there!
- Plugging the Leak
- Xcel Energy's Transformer Fire - Updated
- Get Out of Denver
- Billy Whitfield plays "Ghost Riders in the Sky"
- Two styles of beef production: Is one criminal in ...
- The Naysayer of the Month - Mayor Hickenlooper
- The Honorable Hick Changes the Rules
- Elyria Gets Some Air
- Citizen Squeeze
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.