Denver Direct: Pinon Canyon Update
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Pinon Canyon Update
from the PCEOC Newsletter:
In light of the ongoing recession it is important to keep in mind the economic consequences of PCMS expansion. Much of the productivity of the lands surrounding Pinon Canyon is invisible to the casual observer. A 100,000 acre expansion of PCMS would cost the communities of Southeastern Colorado $27 million to $76 million annually according to economic data compiled by Marilyn Musgrave and John Salazar. This includes tourism revenue, hunting revenue, cattle sales, agricultural salaries, and hay sales. Wind development on 100,000 acres would generate an additional $25 to $35 million annually. Gas fields east of I-25 could also become a reality as energy prices rise. The Army estimates PCMS expansion will bring $5 million in salary and $4 million in maintenance costs annually to the local economy. A good trade? Pro-expansion politicians say expansion is about jobs. They are right; expansion is about the loss of private sector jobs and businesses in southeast Colorado in the hope of creating tax payer funded jobs near Fort Carson.
See also Pinon Canyon Trailride (featuring Rep. Wes McKinley, Rep. Terrance Carroll, and Westword’s Patty Calhoun).
at 12:47 PM
Post Comments (Atom)
- Cormorants Cope with Construction
- By Dave Felice
The cormorants at Duck Lake in Den...
- Denver DA Morrissey - Crime Rate Down
- Councilwoman Johnson Initiates Investigation of Lo...
- Denver Councilman Linkhart - We have enough prison...
- Denver Auditor Sings
- Locked Gardens
- Sen. Chris Romer on Education
- One Thing Leads to Another
- Money Can't Buy You Love
- Ambrose Proposes Parks Solution
- What's up with eBay?
- Romanoff Calls Out Tea Party
- Ballot Trace
- Purple Pipe Water Coming to Cheesman Park
- Romanoff Surges at Denver County Assembly
- Well Said: No Admission Based Events in Our Parks
- Welcoming Colorado
- Criminal and Juvenile Justice Town Hall Meeting
- Pinon Canyon Update
- Done Deal
- Your Computer is Dirty
- Concrete at Cheesman
- Here Comes the Next Big One
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.
Post a Comment