Saturday, August 30, 2014
|Imagine what this will look like in 3 years.|
Project: The Whittier Alley Loop
Neighborhood: The project is designed to connect four alleyways in the historic Whittier neighborhood
Site: Four Alleyways between Williams, High and Race streets
About: The Whittier Alley Loop is a creative urban intervention, transforming under-used alleyways and connecting important places within the neighborhood, including the Ford-Warren Library, a Recreation Center, Madame CJ Walker Park, and local businesses. This project aims to create unique public spaces and demonstrate that alleyways can become creative neighborhood assets, instead of just utilitarian right-of-ways.
The Whittier Neighborhood Association represents a diverse community in Denver’s rapidly changing urban core. WNA is committed to building upon the assets of the residents in the neighborhood.
Opinion by Gerald Trumbule
Pardon me, but I was under the impression that alleys were to provide access to the properties on that block, not shortcuts for pedestrians on their way to libraries, rec centers or local businesses. I thought that sidewalks were for this purpose. Painting this alley in this crude, linear, architectural way may “create unique public spaces and demonstrate that alleyways can become creative neighborhood assets”, but I’m guessing that the project will attract additional spontaneous citizen input, also in the form of paint, as in spray-painted graffiti. It will be almost irresistible to the young creative artists. Unfortunately, they can be arrested and fined for that participation.
I note the name Radian on the rendering above, and I can’t find much about them except that their Facebook pages have been taken down.
Update: Thanks to a reader – Radian website.
at 3:54 PM
- Dave Felice at Polis Rally, Aug.28, 2014
- Whittier Alley Loop - $7000 for a "creative urban ...
- DPR'S DANNEMILLER WITH REGARD TO OBSCENITY IN THE ...
- NEW PROJECT ON YORK AT 17TH AVE
- A PARK THAT IS A ZOO by PHIL GOODSTEIN - NAYSAYER,...
- "Every move you make..."
- INC Resolution on Revising Neighborhood Noise Ordi...
- INC Resolution on Disturbance of the Public Peace ...
- Forget Technology; Denver Turns to Its Employees t...
- Denver's Water Saver Cars
- CHIVE Fest neighbors described the excessive noise...
- Crisis at the Border & Immigration Reform
- Another excellent ad by the Romanoff team
- AFTERMATH TO CHIVE FEST by Linda Drake
- WHAT ABOUT THIS SECTION OF A64?
- "YOU ARE UNLAWFULLY ASSEMBLED" LIVE STREAMING FROM...
- DENVER CHIVE FEST RAW (WARNING: WHATEVER)
- DISTURBANCE OF THE PEACE: ANDREA MERIDA CITES DENV...
- DENVER CHIVE FEST: ASSORTED PHOTOS
- CHIVE FEST: ATROCIOUS USE OF PARKS
- Tim Pool back on the job, live-streaming from Ferg...
- CHIVE FEST: SHOW YOUR BOOBIES
- GUMBO LE FUNQUE CD RELEASE PARTY - SUNDAY 8-24-201...
- Please avoid parking in neighborhood areas near th...
- I Smoked POT in the RAT CAGE to SHOW Dr. WOLK what...
- Colorado's first mental health crisis hotline open...
- CHIVE FEST ON
- National Cannabis Consultant and Local PR Veteran ...
- POT SCORECARD
- DENVER DAYS INFO FROM COUNCILMAN ALBUS BROOKS
- DENVER PARK'S ADMISSION BASED EVENTS POLICY IS IN ...
- Assistance League Thrift Mart Sale - Tomorrow
- Chive Fest in City Park (meeting) turned out a fai...
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.