Denver Direct: CAN TPP BE DEFEATED?
Friday, April 25, 2014
Then we heard thatPresident Obama this week failed to smooth out the TPP rough spots with Japan so he could return from his four-nation Asia trip with his hoped for TPP “agreement in principle.” (Because the information source requires a paid subscription, the link above is to my post on the Global TPP Team Facebook page. Thanks to CTC’s Arthur Stamoulis for sharing the original article.)
BUT….we are not out of the woods yet! There is still the unpredictable “lame duck” (read: nothing to lose) Congress to consider – and several months in between now and election time when any number of deals could be struck between candidates and the individuals and corporations who hold their campaign purse strings. With McCutcheon adding spice to Citizens United, who knows how and to whom the cash will flow? That’s why we must continue the fight, and keep up our campaign to put pressure on Congress and the mainstream media until we are sure the “free trade” monster is dead and buried for as long as possible.
1. To join in the effort (today through Saturday, April 26) visit http://www.SaveTheWorldStopFastTrack.com and click on two new targets each day to bombard them with messages on Twitter and Facebook. (Note: be sure to save and use the link above – others sent out recently from our partners have had errors.)
2. Use the NEWLY UPDATED Countdown to Coverage Letter to the Editor Tool – with FRESH CONTENT, where in just3 MINUTES you can click to CHOOSE FROM SEVERAL NEW TPP talking point paragraphs, and cut, paste, and send a letter to the newspaper of your choice! (You can also use the tool to create and send a letter in your own words!)
3. Save this link and click here every Tuesday to join Twitter storms with Emilianne Slaydon of TPP Media March
4. Save this link and click here every Thursday to storm with Beth Allen and Communications Workers of America.
With few exceptions,the failure of mainstream media to give TPP coverage the space and time it deserves in print and on our airwaves, is why most Americans remain generally unaware of just how much impact the TPP will have on their lives.
This week’s National TPP Team Conference Call will feature updates on the “Save the World, Stop Fast Track” campaign fromKian Frederick of GTW, the latest activist updates from Dr. Margaret Flowers of Popular Resistance, and details about the exciting coalition wrap-up rally on May 7 in Washington, D.C., sponsored by Communications Workers of America (CWA).
You’ll also hear (from me!) how to plan and post an event for your own solidarity rally on May 7 with support fromMoveOn.org. And Andrea Miller from PDA will share what’s happening with Countdown to Coverage, our letter to the editor campaign – where we now have all new, updated content for you to choose from when you create your letters!
SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKERS: Alan Minsky, producer with KPFK public radio in Los Angeles, and writer Cole Stangler of In These Times magazine, will talk about WHY Mainstream Media Doesn’t Cover Some Stories – notably TPP – and what the progressive media and the public can do about it. And they’ll be on hand to answer your questions afterward!
National TPP Team Coordinator
MoveOn Regional Organizer
PDA and Sierra Club Member
CADEM Delegate, Region 18
Land line: 760-305-7010
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: Liz Warren (Woyton)
Twitter: LizWarrenWriterhttp://petitions.moveon.org/sign/congress-no-backdoor?mailing_id=21874&source=s.em.cr&r_by=4009303 http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/congress-dont-renew-fast?mailing_id=21874&source=s.icn.em.cr&r_by=4009303
at 4:21 PM
- Colorado Sen. Mike Johnston Update
- Finding of No Significant Impact
- Proposed Changes to Rules and Regulations Regardin...
- LAST MINUTE NOTICE
- Saturday, 1:pm, April 26th at the Denver Capitol B...
- UPDATE FROM FRIENDS OF DENVER PARKS - APRIL 25, 20...
- CAN TPP BE DEFEATED?
- Anthony responds to LiveWell re: I-70 relocation
- STUDENT DEBT PROTEST - FRIDAY AT THE CAPITOL
- Tom Boasberg and a Culture of Deceit
- INADEQUATE TRANSPARENCY
- CLIMATE PROTECTION RELATED EVENTS
- NOT 1 MORE ACRE! (Pinon Canyon Update)
- HICKENLOOPER CAMPAIGN AD
- CRIME ALERT
- FANNIE MAE PULLS THE PLUG ON CASTLE LAW GROUP, ARO...
- Denver Dems (District 8) Spaghetti Dinner
- WHAT TO DO THIS FRIDAY AFTERNOON
- Climate Change and I-70
- SUNDAY PARKING IN CITY PARK
- COMMUNITY GRANTS AVAILABLE
- LOCK THE KIDS UP AT NIGHT TO KEEP THEM SAFE
- Observations on Colfax Rec Center
- THAT I-70 CUT AND COVER
- DENVER CENTRAL RECREATION CENTER - And then there...
- REGARDING LION DEATHS FROM CANCER AT THE DENVER ZO...
- EQUAL PAY
- TRANSPORTATION SUMMIT
- Police Alert - Daytime Residential Burglaries
- You Stopped the Loop! Now Join CPFAN
- SCREWED AGAIN
- Survey on new Colfax rec center
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.