Tuesday, November 25, 2014
The Denver preschool tax once more narrowly gained voter authorization. Since its adoption in 2006, it has been used to fund a coalition of self-styled improvers and babysitters who have embraced preschools as both salvation and a business.
From the beginning, advocates of the preschool tax have not addressed the most fundamental of issues. If preschool is a positive good for society, why should it be in private hands? In particular, why should parents wanting their toddlers in preschool have to pay for enrolling them? Why should not preschools be part of a universal public school system? For that matter, why, instead of drawing on the reactionary sales tax, should they not be financed with the rest of the public school system? By once more avoiding these issues and perpetuating their empire, the champions of the preschool tax show themselves to be the Naysayer of the Month.
(The Naysayers will meet at Javier’s, northwest corner of W. 38th Avenue and Tennyson Street, Saturday, December 6, 4:30 PM.)
at 2:10 PM
- ORWELLIAN HISTORY by Phil Goodstein - December 20...
- DEMOCRATS VERSUS THE ENVIRONMENT by Phil Goodstein...
- DENVER PRESCHOOL TAX by Phil Goodstein - December ...
- COMMUNITY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT HAS UPDATED ITS...
- NEW: EASTHIGH NEIGHBORS
- Driveabout: Denver to Boulder via Hwy 36, Nov. 18,...
- Next South City Park Neighborhood Association Meet...
- All of Southeastern Colorado to be a Massive Elect...
- REPORT FROM METHADONE ALLEY (16TH and GAYLORD) Nov...
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO OPENS DRUG DISPENSARY IN "D...
- YOU WANT THIS? SHOW UP.
- SIGN-UP FOR EMAIL REMINDER OF RECYCLING SCHEDULE
- Ten Ways the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Would...
- ELECTION COMMENTARY by Elizabeth Warren
- MORE MARIJUANA MUCH? (Part 3)
- MARIJUANA MUCH? (Part 2)
- Event: Parking in Denver: How I Learned To Stop Wo...
- The Heart of Historic East Denver - New Goodstein ...
- MORE I-70
- I-70 PROJECT: PUBLIC COMMENTS SUMMARIZED
- Notes from the New Drug War by Jessica LeRoux - No...
- DENVER'S DROP OFF VOTE LOCATIONS (TOO LATE TO MAIL...
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.