Monday, July 22, 2013
by Dave Felice
Does City Councilman Chris Herndon really think it’s a good idea to revive the stadium tax so the city can provide dedicated tax money to a private foundation to give scholarships? Since when is it the city’s responsibility to be in the scholarship granting business?
And if we have a dedicated tax for scholarships, what’s to stop other public and private organizations from asking for a dedicated tax revenue to support operations, such as libraries, parks, food and shelter, or any other “special district”?
Furthermore, if the Denver Scholarship Foundation (backed by Teflon John Hickenlooper and oil billionaire Tim Marquez) is running out of money, how does that become OUR problem?
Education is critical! Scholarships are essential. But increasing taxes and funneling the money to a private foundation isn’t the way to success. Perhaps if the school district made better use of the massive amount of money it already has, government wouldn’t have to be asking taxpayers for yet another flawed attempt at redemption.
We need better accountability and success before we start throwing more money at the problems.
at 7:40 AM
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 28, 2013
- Colorado public bank amendment (2014) revised
- From Mayor Hancock
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 22, 2013
- YET ANOTHER TAX PROPOSAL?
- Yipping and howling, Hentzell coyotes join the fra...
- Confronting the Minotaur - Reflections on the Hent...
- MY OWN "MAKE MY DAY" EXPERIENCE
- Hentzell Park: City's rejection of petition spurs ...
- City Park West Meeting Reminder
- Trayvon Martin Rally at Denver's MLK Circle in Cit...
- Block-by-Block Trash Pickup
- DENVER POLICE AND FIRE SCANNER
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 15, 2013
- TODAY: TRAYVON MARTIN VERDICT PROTEST AT CITY PARK...
- Walkabout - Museum expansion at City Park - July 1...
- Good-bye to City Park in Denver
- On a Clear Day You Can See Hentzell Is a Park
- Walkabout - Black Arts Festival - July 13, 2013
- From Toxic "Dew of Death" to Wildlife Refuge
- Friends of Denver Parks Needs Your Help
- City Park West Neighborhood Survey (and upcoming m...
- Denver City Council gets greedy, discusses imposin...
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 8, 2013
- Whole Foods Union-Busting - Phil Goodstein - Naysa...
- Denver Citizens say " Put it On the Ballot"
- The Contempt of the Rulers - Phil Goodstein - The ...
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 1, 2013
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.