Sunday, July 14, 2013
When I moved to Denver in 1971, City Park played a major role in my decision to buy a building at 16th and York Street. While trying to make the decision, my wife and I had a picnic in City Park. At the time, City Park appeared rundown and neglected, much like Fairmount Park in Philadelphia where we had previously lived. Ah…perfect…a little bit of “natural” nature.
Over the years since then, many proposals and much money has been spent on the Park. Back then, I learned of a group that seemed to oppose the expansion of the Zoo and The Museum into the park land. Each proposal to expand the footprint of these fine institutions into the Park was met with opposition. But that opposition was overcome as both expanded and the Park continued to shrink.
About 5 years ago, I learned of the insidious plan of Denver Water and Wastewater Management, in secret collusion with the big corporate polluters, to pump the toxins from Lowry Landfill into the lakes and greens of our parks via the newly “recycled” water and the infamous “purple pipes”. (Go here or search this site for “purple pipe”.)
Before the death of my friend and mentor Adrienne Anderson, who had led the battle for public awareness of this “purple-pipe water”, from a brain tumor, glioblastoma multiforme, she refused to go to the parks fed by this contaminated water. There was the inevitable speculation after her death that her brain tumor may have been caused by her exposure over the years to plutonium and other radionuclides, such as those found in this “purple pipe water”. We will never know.
Now that the Zoo expansion is nearly complete, the Museum expansion continues, and the plans are laid for a “loop playground”, I fear that, for me, it is goodbye to the once “natural” nature of City Park.
at 9:47 AM
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 28, 2013
- Colorado public bank amendment (2014) revised
- From Mayor Hancock
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 22, 2013
- YET ANOTHER TAX PROPOSAL?
- Yipping and howling, Hentzell coyotes join the fra...
- Confronting the Minotaur - Reflections on the Hent...
- MY OWN "MAKE MY DAY" EXPERIENCE
- Hentzell Park: City's rejection of petition spurs ...
- City Park West Meeting Reminder
- Trayvon Martin Rally at Denver's MLK Circle in Cit...
- Block-by-Block Trash Pickup
- DENVER POLICE AND FIRE SCANNER
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 15, 2013
- TODAY: TRAYVON MARTIN VERDICT PROTEST AT CITY PARK...
- Walkabout - Museum expansion at City Park - July 1...
- Good-bye to City Park in Denver
- On a Clear Day You Can See Hentzell Is a Park
- Walkabout - Black Arts Festival - July 13, 2013
- From Toxic "Dew of Death" to Wildlife Refuge
- Friends of Denver Parks Needs Your Help
- City Park West Neighborhood Survey (and upcoming m...
- Denver City Council gets greedy, discusses imposin...
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 8, 2013
- Whole Foods Union-Busting - Phil Goodstein - Naysa...
- Denver Citizens say " Put it On the Ballot"
- The Contempt of the Rulers - Phil Goodstein - The ...
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 1, 2013
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.