Saturday, July 6, 2013
FRIENDS OF DENVER PARKS – JULY 5, 2013
On July 1, 2013 the Petitioners Committee filed a referendum petition with city clerk and recorder Debra Johnson to repeal the land swap deal between the city and Denver Public Schools. The referendum petition included 6,664 valid signatures of Denver registered voters. 6,129 signatures are required to place the issue on the ballot. The referendum petition included more than enough signatures to place the issue on the ballot.
On July 3, 2013 Johnson rejected the referendum petition without counting the signatures. Johnson claims that the Petitioners Committee improperly circulated the referendum petition without her permission. A copy of Johnson’s letter is available on the website www.FriendsofDenverParks.Org.
On July 5, 2013 the firm of Benson & Case filed a motion in Denver District Court to bring additional claims against Johnson in the pending lawsuit. Benson & Case is representing the plaintiffs on a pro bono basis. The new claims against Johnson ask Judge Herbert L. Stern III to declare unconstitutional section 8.3.2 (C) of the City Charter. Section 8.3.2 requires Denver citizens to obtain permission of the clerk and recorder before circulating a referendum petition. In this case, Johnson refused to give her permission.
Plaintiff’s counsel John Case said, “We believe that section 8.3.2 (C) of the City Charter is an unconstitutional restriction of the First Amendment rights.
at 12:22 PM
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 28, 2013
- Colorado public bank amendment (2014) revised
- From Mayor Hancock
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 22, 2013
- YET ANOTHER TAX PROPOSAL?
- Yipping and howling, Hentzell coyotes join the fra...
- Confronting the Minotaur - Reflections on the Hent...
- MY OWN "MAKE MY DAY" EXPERIENCE
- Hentzell Park: City's rejection of petition spurs ...
- City Park West Meeting Reminder
- Trayvon Martin Rally at Denver's MLK Circle in Cit...
- Block-by-Block Trash Pickup
- DENVER POLICE AND FIRE SCANNER
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 15, 2013
- TODAY: TRAYVON MARTIN VERDICT PROTEST AT CITY PARK...
- Walkabout - Museum expansion at City Park - July 1...
- Good-bye to City Park in Denver
- On a Clear Day You Can See Hentzell Is a Park
- Walkabout - Black Arts Festival - July 13, 2013
- From Toxic "Dew of Death" to Wildlife Refuge
- Friends of Denver Parks Needs Your Help
- City Park West Neighborhood Survey (and upcoming m...
- Denver City Council gets greedy, discusses imposin...
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 8, 2013
- Whole Foods Union-Busting - Phil Goodstein - Naysa...
- Denver Citizens say " Put it On the Ballot"
- The Contempt of the Rulers - Phil Goodstein - The ...
- ALL THINGS MJ with Jessica LeRoux - July 1, 2013
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.