Thursday, April 11, 2013
The Democratic Party of Denver (“DPOD”) House District 8’s annual spaghetti dinner fundraiser to be held Saturday, April 13 at 6:00 P.M. has been moved to the Assistance League of Denver at 1400 Josephine due to the Archdiocese of Denver’s last-minute cancellation of their contract to rent space at St. Ignatius of Loyola Catholic Church for the event. While the DPOD had a signed contract in place for several weeks to use the space at St. Ignatius—which had hosted the spaghetti dinner for the previous four years—the DPOD was informed only on Monday, April 8 that the contract would not be honored.
DPOD Chair Edward Hall spoke with Archdiocese Chancellor J.D. Flynn—a registered Republican—who informed him that, in Chancellor Flynn’s opinion, Democratic Party events “were not good for the community.” While legal counsel for the Archdiocese indicated the decision was due to nonprofit tax status concerns, that rationale does not explain the extraordinary timing of the decision and furthermore rings hollow in light of the arms-length nature of the contract, St. Ignatius’ established history of contracting with the DPOD, and Chancellor Flynn’s own words.
The decision to not honor the contract left the DPOD scrambling to find a new space and inform attendees of the change. The DPOD reminds Chancellor Flynn of Numbers 30:2, which states that if someone “swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word.” While the DPOD is weighing its options for legal recourse, a successful fundraiser at the alternate site—the Assistance League of Denver at 1400 Josephine—will help ensure that the only damage done from this situation will be to Chancellor Flynn’s reputation as someone who values keeping promises.
Tickets for the dinner are $20 for adults and $10 for seniors and children, and are available for purchase at the door.
at 3:28 PM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- All Things MJ with Jessica LeRoux - April 29, 2013...
- Catch up with movement to create a public bank for...
- Playground project turns into City Park redo.
- Kea's Kwips: "What? It was here when I came in."
- The Naysayer by Phil Goodstein - May, 2013
- Colorado Mandatory Reporting Requirements Regardin...
- All Things MJ with Jessica LeRoux - April 23, 2013...
- Senator Pat Steadman invites everyone to a town ha...
- DPS and Hentzell Park
- Westword has the best slide shows ever
- A Drought Update for Denver Water Customers
- Denver Post BigPix produces interesting closeups
- Walkabout at the Capitol for the annual Cowboy BBQ...
- Its Colorado's 1st legal 4/20 - from Jessica LeRou...
- LEGISLATIVE UPDATE AT THE DENVER DEMS SPAGHETTI DI...
- Archdiocese Breaks Vow with Denver Dems
- NOT EXACTLY WHAT THE VOTERS HAD IN MIND
- FREE THE POT PRISONERS
- All Things MJ with Jessica LeRoux - April 7, 2013 ...
- BENNET'S BOND BOONDOGGLE BITES BACK
- CAMPING BAN PROVES COUNTERPRODUCTIVE AND CRUEL
- Real-time audio of Joint Select Committee on the I...
- DPS answers to Ortega's questions re Hentzell Park...
- Denver City Council's "disgraceful vote" on Hentze...
- Felice to City Council: Write a better story.
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.