Sunday, March 10, 2013
Impact of the Unauthorized Camping Ban on Denver’s Homeless Community
Denver, CO – Denver Homeless Out Loud (DHOL) invites the public to the release of a survey on the impact of the City of Denver’s Unauthorized Camping Ban on 500 homeless people living in Denver. The ordinance allows the police to require the homeless to go to a shelter or move along whenever they are caught covering themselves from the cold and elements or face criminal sanctions.
When: April 3 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Where: Cornerstone Residences, 1001 Park Ave. (at Curtis St.), Denver, CO 80218
The survey was drafted and conducted by DHOL, homeless people and experienced researchers who are deeply concerned about the impact of this law enforcement tool on those living in the streets without homes and in shelters. It was painstakingly prepared, and surveyors were carefully trained to be unbiased in conducting the survey. DHOL believes that speaking with the homeless is the only way to understand the impact of the ban.
Over 500 people experiencing homelessness in Denver volunteered their time to complete the survey. The report is produced in collaboration with Professor Tony Robinson and students of the University of Colorado Denver, Department of Political Science. The survey results provide valuable information about the impact of the ordinance and how we can better serve the homeless in Denver. DHOL will make the data publicly available to the homeless, the Mayor’s Commission on the Homeless, and constituencies who work with the homeless. We hope our data helps improve the safety of those who live on the streets, increases services, and improves rapid re-housing options.
at 7:03 PM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- Leading the way
- Former Councilwoman Donohue's open letter to curre...
- INC asks for Denver Parks and Rec for clarificatio...
- The Vern Wagner Saga: Sentencing Hearing - March 2...
- City Park Super Playground Meeting notes
- Your legislators at work on A64 - listen in now (1...
- Inside Deal
- Denver Police Survey
- Community Town Hall on The School Finance Act
- No More TCAP - Student protest - March 14, 2013
- Do you live in Stapleton?
- FORCED SEXUAL ASSAULT AT 13TH & EMERSON
- Denver Councilwoman Kniech on Hentzell Vote
- Complaint filed against Denver School Board
- Student Walkout Tomorrow
- Update on All Things A64 by Jessica LeRoux - March...
- Big News! $447,000 for Globeville, Elyria and Swan...
- DENVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS Interdepartmental Communicat...
- All Things A64 with Jessica LeRoux - March 11, 201...
- Don't Frack My Mother
- REPORT FROM THE STREETS
- Senior Day at the Capitol
- REASONS FOR HENTZELL PARK LAND GIVE-AWAY ARE INVAL...
- Ethics panel sees conflict of interest in parks bo...
- The Vern Wagner Saga - A modern-day Western of one...
- All Things A64 with Jessica LeRoux - March 4, 2013...
- Town Hall - Fracking - March 13
- Visual record of demonstration against police brut...
- Short journey through toxic air in Denver today
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.