Tuesday, December 31, 2013
By Dave Felice
Exclusive to Denver Direct
In a broadcast interview, the attorney for Friends of Denver Parks says he’s moving forward with an appeal involving Hampden Heights North Park and preparing to launch a ballot initiative to protect other park lands.
Attorney John Case appears undaunted by the latest ruling from the Court of Appeals. The Appeals Court upholds a Denver Court denial of an injunction to protect Hampden Heights North Park from development. At the same time, Case says Friends of Denver Parks intends to undertake “a ballot initiative to confer official park status on the numerous parks in Denver that the city has neglected to designate by ordinance.”
According to Case, “this is an issue which affects dozens of parcels of land citywide.” In the interview on KNUS 710, Case expresses concern that “because the city says there is no specific ordinance for certain parcels, that land is threatened.”
Case also told interviewers Chuck Bonniwell and Julie Hayden that he’s not surprised by the difficulty of fighting this case against the city. “(Assistant City Attorney) David Broadwell is a very good lawyer,” said Case. Bonniwell responded: “Yes, but for a bad purpose.”
In a written statement to supporters, Case said: “I believe that the Court of Appeals was wrong in concluding that charter section 2.4.5 eliminated common law dedication of parks in Denver. After considering the work involved in this pro bono effort, my four law partners at Benson & Case voted unanimously to authorize me to file a petition for ‘writ of certiorari’ in the Colorado Supreme Court. They also authorized me to proceed to trial as scheduled in Denver District Court May 19, 2014.”
Case says he is still working pro bono. He says Friends of Denver Parks continues to accept donations. According to Case, expenses are covered, but the lawyers working on the matter are not getting paid. He says there are also opportunities for volunteer work, and refers people who are interested to the web site www.FriendsOfDenverParks.org.
As an example of the peril facing undesignated park land, Case cites trails from Hampden Heights North Park connecting to other parks in southeast Denver. Case says even though these trails have signs indicating they are park land, the city now says they are not actual parks by designation.
The court matter challenges the city’s authority to transfer 11 acres of Hampden Height North Park, also known as Hentzell Park Natural Area, to the Denver school district.
at 11:03 AM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- NEW HOPE FOR 2014
- Attorney forges on in battle to protect Denver par...
- HIGH SCHOOL ASSASSINS - by Phil Goodstein - Naysay...
- MARIJUANA DESTROYS THE BRAIN by Phil Goodstein - N...
- AND THE ANSWER IS....
- Merry Christmas - Family gets $10,000 for expense ...
- DID YOU KNOW?
- COLORADO'S SEPARATED FIRST COUPLE SENDS WEIRDEST C...
- WOW! DENVER CITY COUNCIL HAS ITS OWN BLOG
- CAN WE AT LEAST SEE WHAT THE TRANS-PACIFIC PARTNER...
- LIST OF LICENSED RETAIL MARIJUANA STORES (SO FAR)...
- Final shout out of 2013, last call for cake! - Je...
- Mayor Hancock and our Parks
- Dustin Redd Playground Redesign Redux
- DPR: CITY PARK "SILLY" LOOP ON HOLD
- THE ABDUCTION OF A DENVER PARK
- YOU'D BETTER WATCH OUT...
- A SCHOOL IS NOT A DOT
- ON BEHALF OF MMJ PATIENTS
- WHAT IS LEFT OF YOUR "LEGALIZED" MARIJUANA
- MISINFORMATION ON OUTDOOR POT GROWING IN COLORADO
- Break-ins - City Park West
- DENVER LIQUOR LICENSES
- StopCityLoop Meeting with Denver Parks & Recreatio...
- THC NEWSLETTER by Jessica LeRoux - December 8, 201...
- (Not Too) Smart Colorado
- REPEAL THE URBAN CAMPING BAN
- HAVE YOU EVER TRIED A TELEPHONE TOWN HALL MEETING?...
- CRIME ALERT - 16TH AND PEARL
- TPP MUST BE STOPPED
- FOOD AND CLOTHING DROP OFF AT CIVIC CENTER PARK - ...
- CLOSE GITMO
- NAYSAYER, DECEMBER, 2013 by Phil Goodstein
- Denver's Public Art
- FRONT PORCH LIBERATED
- UPDATE: WE WON! Citizens speaking against private...
- DENVER POLICE CHIEF WHITE TESTIMONY ON ROBB AMENDM...
- "PUBLIC PROPERTY" NOW INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU CAN ...
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.