Wednesday, November 13, 2013
|Edward F. Trumbule at 18|
My nephew, Steve, pointed out that today was the 100th anniversary of my father’s birth in Pittsburg, Kansas.
In the 1930s, Kansas was in the dust bowl and the country was in the Great Depression. One of “Eddie’s” early ventures was with the Civilian Conservation Corp. He was sent by train to Camp 787 in Schley, Minnesota in 1933 to plant trees. I remember two stories he told of those times.
– The temperature got down to -55F and it was so cold you had to hold your breath when running between buildings.
– They lived in barracks, military style, and ate at the mess hall. Once, at dinner time, they were served a goulash that no one wanted to eat. They were told they had to eat it all. When no one was looking, Eddie dumped the pot under the table. Upon being discovered and asked his name, Eddie replied “Patrick Henry” and, much to the delight of his fellows, the Sgt. wrote it down. He never did take to authority very well.
More photos from that era:
Back in Pittsburg, the only work available was at a local truck farm for $1 per day. There he met my mother, Adele Folle, and they married in 1936.
On a whim, and at the urging of a friend, he took the Government Civil Service exam, and was surprised with an offer to move to Washington, D.C. to train as a sheet-metal worker. He worked for The Bureau of Engraving and Printing for the next 38 years.
I am forever grateful that he was adventurous enough to make that move in a time of hardship and uncertainty, for it surely changed my destiny in a very positive way.
at 12:10 PM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- NEWS MEDIA NEGLIGENT, PUBLIC UNINFORMED ABOUT TREA...
- THE SHRINKING OF PUBLIC OPEN SPACE
- WE WAS "ROBB"ED
- THC NEWSLETTER UPDATE from JESSICA LEROUX - Novemb...
- THE MYTH OF PUBLIC INPUT: ONE HOUR COURTESY PUBLIC...
- GOOSE POOP IN THE LOOP? Bright blue plastic tubing...
- Twenty story buildings - Sloans Lake
- Bad Breaking News
- STOP THE UGLY!
- THE SUNSHINE FOOD PROJECT - IN OUR 'HOOD
- Don't forget - Large Item Pickup is only once ever...
- MORE LOOPY CITY PARK PLAN
- In memory of Edward F. Trumbule - born Nov. 13, 19...
- LOOPY HANCOCK PLAN FOR CITY PARK
- THC NEWSLETTER by Jessica LeRoux - November 11, 20...
- Congressional oversight of foreign trade is essent...
- DMV NEWS
- CLASS: GROWING MEDICINE UNDER ANY CONDITIONS
- WE ARE DENVER
- FORMER CITY OFFICIAL FILES ETHICS CHARGE AGAINST P...
- PERLMUTTER ON TPP
- Denver International Airport Opens 10 Electric Veh...
- MILLION MASK MARCH - November 5, 2013
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.