Friday, September 21, 2012
Have you ever attended a public meeting calling for “citizen input” on an issue to be decided by a government committee? Did you get the feeling that the issue was already decided and that the meeting was just for show? You might want to read this study by Stephen M. Griffin, MAC, PhD.
As “experts” the Denver Parks and Recreation Department excluded, ignored, or marginalized any of the public’s input that did not conform to their view of the best practices in dog park planning. The External Stakeholders Committee members did not feel the meetings were led in a way that allowed them to have meaningful input on the elements of the Plan. The Department’s public meetings were poster sessions, where the primary focus was allowing citizens to ask questions, and the collection of public input on the draft plan was secondary. The meeting conducted by the City Park Alliance was more a debate protest than a planning session. The result was the public had no meaningful influence on the decisions reached in the process.
Read the entire summary here.
at 8:56 AM
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 30, 201...
- 'ELEPHANT' TO BE CHAINED TO GROUND AS RINGLING BRI...
- Denver's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Sept 22, 2012
- Fair Food and Farmworker Justice at Chipotle Festi...
- October Naysayer by Phil Goodstein
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 24, 201...
- Rock 'n' Roll Marathon today, Sat., 9-22-12
- Breaking news on proposed Walmart at 9th and Color...
- The Fix is In
- The Legacy of Michael Bennet, our Senator
- Gov. Hickenlooper Longmont visit draws oil, gas pr...
- Aurora Schools Tax Hike - Because they are entitle...
- The “bad for children” argument against legalizing...
- Ballot Issues Forum September 24
- Urban Drool
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 17, 201...
- "We are unstoppable, another world is possible"
- Live Stream from NYC
- Denver City Councilwoman Faatz does a survey of he...
- Benefit for the Whiteclay Legal Support Fund
- Tell Gov Hickenlooper not to sue Longmont for prot...
- 2012 Ballot Issues
- Editorial: Why Denver Citizens Groups Always Seem ...
- Farmworkers protest Denver Chipotle festival
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept 9, 2012
- Walmart Rolls Over Neighborhood Groups
- Last Minute News
- Time for Urbanites to Weigh in on Chatfield
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 3, 2012...
- The Walmart Debate Comes to INC
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.