Tuesday, September 18, 2012
from Letters to the Denver Post Editor re: “Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper opposes marijuana-legalization measure,” Sept. 13 news story.
Several Colorado townships, University of Colorado brass, and now Gov. John Hickenlooper have recently come out against Amendment 64, stating that it “would be bad for kids.” There are many freedoms adults often enjoy that are illegal for kids, including gambling, drinking, smoking, investing, driving, getting piercings and tattoos, getting married, staying out all night, going to many concerts, working a double shift, etc. Granted, many of these freedoms could be considered bad for adults, too, but the “bad for kids” trope is nothing more than a cudgel designed to stifle honest debate. An unregulated black market is most assuredly more harmful to kids than a regulated honest market, and Colorado enjoys many economic advantages from the tax revenue these freedoms bring when adults enjoy them responsibly. And rest assured, adults most certainly do enjoy them.
Intelligent, evidence-based arguments against passing Amendment 64 are hard to find, so these folks fall back to the emotionally charged, false argument that it’s “bad for kids.”
Patrick Cappa, Fort Collins
at 6:11 PM
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 30, 201...
- 'ELEPHANT' TO BE CHAINED TO GROUND AS RINGLING BRI...
- Denver's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Sept 22, 2012
- Fair Food and Farmworker Justice at Chipotle Festi...
- October Naysayer by Phil Goodstein
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 24, 201...
- Rock 'n' Roll Marathon today, Sat., 9-22-12
- Breaking news on proposed Walmart at 9th and Color...
- The Fix is In
- The Legacy of Michael Bennet, our Senator
- Gov. Hickenlooper Longmont visit draws oil, gas pr...
- Aurora Schools Tax Hike - Because they are entitle...
- The “bad for children” argument against legalizing...
- Ballot Issues Forum September 24
- Urban Drool
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 17, 201...
- "We are unstoppable, another world is possible"
- Live Stream from NYC
- Denver City Councilwoman Faatz does a survey of he...
- Benefit for the Whiteclay Legal Support Fund
- Tell Gov Hickenlooper not to sue Longmont for prot...
- 2012 Ballot Issues
- Editorial: Why Denver Citizens Groups Always Seem ...
- Farmworkers protest Denver Chipotle festival
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept 9, 2012
- Walmart Rolls Over Neighborhood Groups
- Last Minute News
- Time for Urbanites to Weigh in on Chatfield
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Sept. 3, 2012...
- The Walmart Debate Comes to INC
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.