Sunday, August 5, 2012
Opinion by Gerald Trumbule
|Mayor Hancock with staff and cabinet|
Denver’s Mayor Handcock is planning to ask City Council to place a referendum on the up-coming November ballot asking us to raise the property tax on the properties we own in Denver. It’s got some carrots along with a big stick – you can read the details here. I just want to make one point: QUIT CALLING IT DE-BRUCING.
Yes, we know that nobody likes Doug Bruce, that he went to jail and that he acts like a jerk, but we voted for TABOR, regardless of who created it, and we are glad we did. If it wasn’t for TABOR, you wouldn’t even have to ask us to vote to raise our taxes, you could just do it, and the increase would probably be much bigger.
So quit trying to use Bruce’s name to taint TABOR. This has nothing to do with Bruce and everything to do with our Taxpayers Bill of Rights, the one we voted for, the one that controls how you tax us.
Mayor Hancock, please have the balls to ask for your tax increase straight up, if you must. It’s hard to be honest especially when you started your tenure by hiring too many “assistants” and giving out a whole bunch of salary increases to your bureaucrats. It makes it look like you get the presents and we get the pain.
And by the way folks, be sure to let your City Council person know what you think of this tax increase we can’t afford (which could allow the city to keep an additional $44 million in 2013). They’ll be voting to put it on the ballot on Aug. 13. Tell them you’ll be watching. That’s our Rights they are messing with.
at 4:25 PM
- Moving Sale at Office Depot on Colfax at Pearl
- Side trip to Heeney, Colorado
- VOTE NO ON 2A (and keep your money)
- Occupy Sniagrab
- Attention All Colorado Voters
- Denver Rules Governing Political Signs
- Live Streaming from Tampa with Tim Pool
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Aug. 27, 2012...
- The Third Presidential Candidate
- Early live streaming of Republican National Conven...
- The Naysayer by Phil Goodstein - September 2012
- USA Pro Cycling Challenge Road Closures
- CRIME ALERT
- Yesterday I wanted to get as high as possible...
- News from StopWalmartColorado, Congress Park
- Walkabout - Aug 16, 2012
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - Aug. 13, 2012...
- Viva Streets - 23rd Ave - Park Hill, Denver, Color...
- Irony Run Amok in Fairplay, Colorado
- Obama - Live stream from Pueblo now
- Real-time Police Scanner
President Obama at Auraria Campus, Denver, CO, A...
- All Things MMJ with Jessica LeRoux - August 4, 201...
- Local local news - Free Food on the Street
- Don't blame it on Bruce
- Squandering opportunity in North Denver
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.