Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Thanks to Mike Keefe and Mark Stevens, Gary Reilly’s prodigious writing will not disappear into the dustbin, despite his death in March of 2011. Instead, his series of “Murph” novels will be published starting with “The Asphalt Warrior”. The launch will take place June 5 at the Tattered Cover in lower downtown, 1628 16th St at 7:30 p.m. Read the whole story here.
Gary and I worked on a number of projects back in the 1980s, including “The Heart of Darkness Club” and “Eddie Starr”. We became fast friends and, unfortunately, great drinking buddies, thinking we were operating in the style of Charles Bukowski. This ultimately lead to our parting of the ways, and we had had no contact since then.
Strange it was, then, that I woke up on Christmas morning of 2010 with one thought – call Gary Reilly. There was no dream preceding it that I could remember, just the thought – call Gary Reilly. So I googled Gary that morning but could not find his phone number, although his address was the same. Would that I had driven to his house instead of putting the note I had written aside. When next I picked up the note and googled again, Gary had already passed.
I had saved all of our efforts from those days, including many photos and videotapes we shot, and all of our collaboration and communications with Rob Kirk, our partner and Hollywood contact. Rob had done his best to pitch our project, an “entertainment concept” in Hollywood, and although there was interest, it was deemed to be too “scary” and “ahead of its time”. “Too far out”, they said.
|I “take a meeting” with potential producer Sheila Fortune and Gary Reilly. Note picture of Bob Dobbs on the table.|
I hope to be able to publish some of this work in the near future. Hat’s off to Gary Reilly and his publishers Keefe and Stevens. I can’t wait to buy the first book in the series, “The Asphalt Warrior”. See you at the Tattered Cover on June 5th.
at 9:28 AM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- Back to my gardening roots
- Check you own (Colorado) voter status online and m...
- Affordable Family Fun at the People's Fair! This w...
- Report from the Street
- Long live Gary Reilly!
- On-line YouTube series
- Stay hip - metaphorically speaking
- Colorado MMJ Patients: Please Share
- INC Community News May 23, 2012
- City Park Jazz 2012 Schedule
- NATO protest livestream now.
- DENVER PARKS & RECREATION AND BIKEDENVER LAUNCH 2n...
- Denver Steps Up Enforcement of Leash Law Violation...
- Open Meeting Requirements of the Colorado Sunshine...
- McNulty still spinning
- If "zero citations and zero arrests", why do we ne...
- Services, not just shelter, say homeless advocates...
- NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF AN “URBAN CAMPING BAN” IN DENV...
- What is the Meaning of the Camping Ban Ordinance t...
- Colfax Marathon 2012 Saturday 5/12
from House Minority Leader Ferrandino
- Imagine you live a block or two from a park where ...
- Back to something completely different
- McNulty wins Fool on the Hill award
- For those who think Occupy Denver isn't doing anyt...
- As if they had nothing to do
- Ruby Hill - A Jewel Of A Park Or A Crown Of Thorns...
- Councilman Brooks at the Denver Dems Spaghetti Din...
- Colorado Sen. Mike Johnston "gets it".
- There Are 24 Empty Houses for Every Homeless Perso...
- Controversial telecommunications bill loses in com...
- Five Points Business District Monthly Community Ac...
- Phil Goodstein's May Naysayer
- Jabbering Children
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.