Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Opinion by Gerald Trumbule
Like children building sand castles on the beach, Denver’s City Council moved forward last night (and early this morning) toward the goal of finding places to put the smelly homeless people so we don’t have to “step over” them on our way to work or play. This growing underclass is causing damage to our City’s image as a world-class city and must be dealt with, don’t ya know.
What struck me most was their lack of understanding of the big picture. Because the systemic “big-bank problem” – derivatives, has not been dealt with (can you say quadrillion?), today’s wave of homeless is just the beginning. No one at the “courtesy” hearing seemed able to lift their eyes from the beach in front of them past the first, second and third waves to the giant tsunami 100 ft tall that is bearing down on all of us.
“We have found 200 new beds and two new outreach workers.” Council members said proudly. Wow! Sorry, but I’m not impressed. Get prepared for 2,000 new beds, or maybe 20,000. Get prepared for $6 gasoline and food shortages. Get prepared for “dancing” in the streets.
If the banks, who caused the economic crises with debt leverage of 50 or even 100 to 1 (and insatiable greed) are not broken up, their zombie inventory not dealt with, and the kiting scheme not stopped, the tsunami will continue to grow higher, and the devastation it causes will grow more powerful, so that when it finally does crash on the beach it will not only destroy the sand castles, but carry away the jabbering children as well.
at 9:34 AM
- Back to my gardening roots
- Check you own (Colorado) voter status online and m...
- Affordable Family Fun at the People's Fair! This w...
- Report from the Street
- Long live Gary Reilly!
- On-line YouTube series
- Stay hip - metaphorically speaking
- Colorado MMJ Patients: Please Share
- INC Community News May 23, 2012
- City Park Jazz 2012 Schedule
- NATO protest livestream now.
- DENVER PARKS & RECREATION AND BIKEDENVER LAUNCH 2n...
- Denver Steps Up Enforcement of Leash Law Violation...
- Open Meeting Requirements of the Colorado Sunshine...
- McNulty still spinning
- If "zero citations and zero arrests", why do we ne...
- Services, not just shelter, say homeless advocates...
- NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF AN “URBAN CAMPING BAN” IN DENV...
- What is the Meaning of the Camping Ban Ordinance t...
- Colfax Marathon 2012 Saturday 5/12
from House Minority Leader Ferrandino
- Imagine you live a block or two from a park where ...
- Back to something completely different
- McNulty wins Fool on the Hill award
- For those who think Occupy Denver isn't doing anyt...
- As if they had nothing to do
- Ruby Hill - A Jewel Of A Park Or A Crown Of Thorns...
- Councilman Brooks at the Denver Dems Spaghetti Din...
- Colorado Sen. Mike Johnston "gets it".
- There Are 24 Empty Houses for Every Homeless Perso...
- Controversial telecommunications bill loses in com...
- Five Points Business District Monthly Community Ac...
- Phil Goodstein's May Naysayer
- Jabbering Children
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.