Monday, May 14, 2012
One of the issues that need to be looked at with a fresh perspective is unauthorized camping in Denver’s urban core. No matter where you stand on the proposed unauthorized camping ordinance, I hope that you share my compassion for the “least of these” in society and that you are willing to help me look for solutions. We can no longer live in a City where it is acceptable to let people live and die on the streets. We can no longer live a life where it is normal to drop a few coins in a cup and ignore the pain and brokenness of humanity. What City Council is proposing, with the support from the Mayor, is not a silver bullet to ending homelessness, but it is a step in the right direction. While “homes not handcuffs” is catchy on a button, the reality of this ordinance is that it is focused on connecting services to those who need them, not locking more people up. There is absolutely no data that supports the claim that we will place people who want services in jail. The data we have shows no citations or arrests stemming from the Sit and Lie ordinance that was adopted in 2005. In studying other municipalities, like that of Colorado Springs, they instituted the same unauthorized camping bill in 2009 and have had zero citations and zero arrests.
at 8:25 AM
- Back to my gardening roots
- Check you own (Colorado) voter status online and m...
- Affordable Family Fun at the People's Fair! This w...
- Report from the Street
- Long live Gary Reilly!
- On-line YouTube series
- Stay hip - metaphorically speaking
- Colorado MMJ Patients: Please Share
- INC Community News May 23, 2012
- City Park Jazz 2012 Schedule
- NATO protest livestream now.
- DENVER PARKS & RECREATION AND BIKEDENVER LAUNCH 2n...
- Denver Steps Up Enforcement of Leash Law Violation...
- Open Meeting Requirements of the Colorado Sunshine...
- McNulty still spinning
- If "zero citations and zero arrests", why do we ne...
- Services, not just shelter, say homeless advocates...
- NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF AN “URBAN CAMPING BAN” IN DENV...
- What is the Meaning of the Camping Ban Ordinance t...
- Colfax Marathon 2012 Saturday 5/12
from House Minority Leader Ferrandino
- Imagine you live a block or two from a park where ...
- Back to something completely different
- McNulty wins Fool on the Hill award
- For those who think Occupy Denver isn't doing anyt...
- As if they had nothing to do
- Ruby Hill - A Jewel Of A Park Or A Crown Of Thorns...
- Councilman Brooks at the Denver Dems Spaghetti Din...
- Colorado Sen. Mike Johnston "gets it".
- There Are 24 Empty Houses for Every Homeless Perso...
- Controversial telecommunications bill loses in com...
- Five Points Business District Monthly Community Ac...
- Phil Goodstein's May Naysayer
- Jabbering Children
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.