Thursday, May 31, 2012
I’ve finally returned to gardening, which was an oppressive burden in the days of my childhood. My Dad always insisted that my older brother and I help with the gardening in the community plots of Greenbelt, Md., about a mile from our house. It seemed an endless, hot, sweaty, boring task, especially because it meant we had to give up swimming that day.
Amazingly, when I visited with my nephew Robert Trumbule who now lives in Greenbelt, I discovered that by chance, he had the same plot as my Dad, some 50+ years later, and was unaware of the coincidence (or maybe he was putting me on).
Now that I have nothing but free time, I must admit I find gardening enjoyable, in a Zen kind of way, and am growing lettuce (too much), radishes, beets, beans, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and spinach. Fits in with future sustainability concept as well. And there’s nothing like a really fresh salad with balsamic vinegar to eat while contemplating the ability of each seed to contain the blueprint for the delicious vegetable that is sustaining you.
at 2:58 PM
- Back to my gardening roots
- Check you own (Colorado) voter status online and m...
- Affordable Family Fun at the People's Fair! This w...
- Report from the Street
- Long live Gary Reilly!
- On-line YouTube series
- Stay hip - metaphorically speaking
- Colorado MMJ Patients: Please Share
- INC Community News May 23, 2012
- City Park Jazz 2012 Schedule
- NATO protest livestream now.
- DENVER PARKS & RECREATION AND BIKEDENVER LAUNCH 2n...
- Denver Steps Up Enforcement of Leash Law Violation...
- Open Meeting Requirements of the Colorado Sunshine...
- McNulty still spinning
- If "zero citations and zero arrests", why do we ne...
- Services, not just shelter, say homeless advocates...
- NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF AN “URBAN CAMPING BAN” IN DENV...
- What is the Meaning of the Camping Ban Ordinance t...
- Colfax Marathon 2012 Saturday 5/12
from House Minority Leader Ferrandino
- Imagine you live a block or two from a park where ...
- Back to something completely different
- McNulty wins Fool on the Hill award
- For those who think Occupy Denver isn't doing anyt...
- As if they had nothing to do
- Ruby Hill - A Jewel Of A Park Or A Crown Of Thorns...
- Councilman Brooks at the Denver Dems Spaghetti Din...
- Colorado Sen. Mike Johnston "gets it".
- There Are 24 Empty Houses for Every Homeless Perso...
- Controversial telecommunications bill loses in com...
- Five Points Business District Monthly Community Ac...
- Phil Goodstein's May Naysayer
- Jabbering Children
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.