Thursday, April 26, 2012
With this in-depth look at homelessness on the Mall, Westword once again distinguishes itself as Denver’s best news source.
Today I’m housed and sober, but I still don’t get why any homeless person would bother with downtown. So last Monday night, I packed my bag and a thermos of coffee and headed for the 16th Street Mall, ground zero in this city’s fight over “urban camping” — an odd term to describe a practice that has historically never involved a single s’mores cookout. A proposal to ban urban camping — and so to ban the homeless from sleeping on the mall and in any other public spots that aren’t already off limits — is grinding its way through the machinations of bureaucracy toward a vote next month. It’s already been the subject of endless discussion, but one group has been conspicuously absent from the proceedings: the homeless themselves.
at 10:06 AM
- What will be the fate of the elevated section of I...
- May 1 - General Strike in Denver this Tuesday
- Unhappy Campers: Westword is Denver's best in-dept...
- Toll Road Legislation Pulled
- McKinley's Hemp Bill passes in the Colorado House
- Neighborhood Crime Alert!
- Earth Week Festival
- Annual HD8 Spaghetti Dinner
- Heads-up on High St at 16th Ave
- Colorado House Appropriations Committee hearing on...
- Burglary Sex Assault in Northeast Park Hill
- Crocs recycling
- City-wide Denver Neighborhood Organization Votes, ...
- Tech Note: Grinding to a halt
- GONZO FIRST AMENDMENT WEED
- Colorado telecommunications workers watch contract...
- Private Reception with Lord Christopher Monckton
- Colorado Legislators with ALEC Ties
- Road Home Collection Meter
- Parks: Ruby Hill Alcohol Sales and Rules Revisions...
- From Occupy Denver re Camping Ban
- Denver IT audit reveals City at risk for 7 years
- Denver City Councilwoman Kneich on Homeless
- Considering Homelessness
- Seasonal Street Sweeping Starts Tomorrow
- Criminalizing homelessness
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.