Friday, December 14, 2012
From Tom Angell, Chairman of Marijuana Majority
“The president’s statement about not targeting individual marijuana users doesn’t mark a shift in policy. The federal government rarely goes after individual users. The real question is whether the Obama administration will try to prevent voter-approved marijuana sales systems from being enacted or if they will force individual users to buy marijuana from the black market, where much of the profits go to cartels and gangs that kill people.
“The president also tries to unjustifiably pass the buck to Congress, claiming that there’s not much he can do to change federal policy on marijuana because ‘Congress has not yet changed the law.’ The fact is, the executive branch was granted the power to unilaterally reschedule marijuana when Congress passed the Controlled Substances Act in 1970. The president should lead on this issue instead of deferring to Congress, a branch of government that he probably knows better than most isn’t exactly prone to getting a whole lot done these days.
“One positive thing to take away from this interview is that the president couched his opposition to marijuana legalization by saying he doesn’t support it ‘at this point.’ That could indicate his position on this issue may ‘evolve’ to catch up with the majority of voters who now support letting states set their own marijuana laws, not unlike how his position on marriage equality ‘evolved’ as it became clear the what direction the public was moving in.”
Excerpts from the interview, which will be released in full tonight, are online at http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president-obama-marijuana-users-high-priority-drug-war/story?id=17946783
at 10:40 AM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
Columnist says protect parks; Hentzell designati...
- All Things MJ with Jessica LeRoux - December 30, 2...
- Setback for CINQ?
- Walkabout - December 21, 2012
- A personal observation of the Hentzell Park deal
- Jessica LeRoux reports on the first A64 (Legal Mar...
- Colorado could save millions with its own Bank
- Hancock Digs in After Negative Vote, Calls Hentzel...
- All Things MJ with Jessica LeRoux - December 15, 2...
- Reaction to Obama's new marijuana statements
- Citizen Win! No Hentzell Park De-designation
- Hancock's Landmine
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Parks and Recreatio...
- All Things MJ with Jessica LeRoux - December 10, 2...
- Bring Proposed Loss of Parkland to Vote of the Peo...
- Keeping an eye on DPS Board
- Woman Fights Bully, WINS!
- Statement by Advocates for Denver's Parks
- Mayor Hancock to Lead Trade Mission to Mexico City...
- Denver Mayor's Done Deal
- All Things MJ with Jessica LeRoux - December 2, 20...
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.