Friday, September 30, 2011
Washington, DC: Federal law prohibits a person from legally possessing a firearm if they use marijuana, even if he or she uses cannabis for medicinal purposes in accordance with state law, according to a memo issued last week by the US Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).
The ATF’s September 21 memo, titled ‘OPEN LETTER TO ALL FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES,’ states: “Federal law … prohibits any person who is an ‘unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance … from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing firearms or ammunition. Marijuana is listed in the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule I controlled substance, and there are no exceptions in federal law for marijuana purportedly used for medicinal purposes, even if such use is sanctioned by state law.”
The memo affirms: “Therefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition. … Further, if you are aware that the potential transferee (of a firearm) is in possession of a card authorizing the possession of marijuana under state law, then you have ‘reasonable cause to believe’ that the person is an unlawful user of a controlled substance. As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person.“
Noteworthy, to date no state or federal court has yet ruled whether medical marijuana patients are disqualified to own a firearm.
While campaigning for the Presidency, Barack Obama had pledged that he would “not … be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this (the medical marijuana) issue.”
at 8:12 AM
- Occupy Denver - Day 8
- Occupy Denver - March/rally Sat (10/1/11) at Noon
- Talking Trash (Tax)
- US DOJ Memo: State Authorized Medi-Pot Patients Ma...
- Occupy Denver - Day 7
- Occupy Denver
- The Slippery Slope of Reality - Part 4
- Plutonium at Rocky Flats
- More road closures
- Police Chief Search Town Hall Meeting
- Big Dog
- Marijuana Prosecutions For 2010 Near Record High
- Early Adrienne
- Elevated from the comments:
- Road Closure Reminder (Oct. 9)
- Brilliant idea! Forgive all student loans!
- Adrienne Anderson: American Environmental Leader
- Adrienne Anderson (1952 - 2011)
- Denver wants Comcast customers to be aware of digi...
- 2011 CREATIVE BUSINESS WORKSHOP SERIES ANNOUNCE...
- Phil Goodstein's Naysayer
- INC Honors Adrienne Anderson
- Local media list
- To pay or not to pay
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.