Monday, April 11, 2011
Well, here we are again in Council District 8 facing an unusual situation – Councilwoman Madison’s demise leaves us scrambling for write-in candidates in the upcoming mail-only election. Candidates can’t just mount a write-in campaign. “Votes for write-in candidates are allowed in this race. However, write-in candidates must file a notarized Write-In Affidavit of Intent with the Denver Elections Division in order for their votes to be counted. The deadline to file an Affidavit of Intent is 6 p.m., Monday, April 18.“
Here is a list of those who have already filed their Write-In Affidavit.
Council District 8 Adam Crowley
Council District 8 Warren Edson
Council District 8 Paul Noel Fiorino
Council District 8 Jake Fleck
Council District 8 Robert Price
Council District 8 Dan Stafford
Council District 8 Susan Whitehurst
We expect to see others join in the fray, among them Darrell Watson, who ran against Madison four years ago, and Paul Weiss, Madison’s husband. The office is up for grabs; a write-in candidate must get 50% (of the write-in votes) plus 1 to win. If there is no plurality in the May 3, 2011 election, I assume there will then be a run-off between the top two candidates in the June 7 run-off election. (Update: We verified this with the Clerk and Recorders Office.)
So let’s assume that each of the write-in candidates can muster 100 write-in votes. Let’s also assume that 5 more candidates join the 7 listed above. That would make a total of 1200 write-in votes, with a plurality of 601 required to win. I doubt that any candidate will be able to garner that plurality, and that therefor a run-off will be held on June 7.
Whatever the case, a small number of aware voters will determine the outcome. That could be you.
at 9:50 AM
- Plutonium: The Jefferson Parkway's biggest problem...
- The crux of the ranchers' beef with our federal go...
- OK, quit whining about how many candidates there a...
- Why Michael Hancock should not be Mayor of Denver
- Report from the District 8 write-in frenzy
- OK, Albus Brooks gets it.
- My other reality
- Somebody for Council District 8
- Nobody for Council District 8
- Sen. Mike Johnston at Denver Dems calls for grassr...
- Dopers for Doug and other passing thoughts
- Rep. Diana DeGette: Inmates have taken over asylum...
- Open letter to Mayor Vidal
- Mayor manages city, not schools
- Juanita Gable Gets It.
- Write-in Watson
- Watson comments on the write-in process
- Write-in News at District 8
- Doug Linkhart for Mayor
- Write-in Watson for Council District 8
- Council District 8 Write-in Candidates
- Write-in Frenzy at Council District 8
- Saturday Special - Wendy Woo at City Park
- Public Review Draft of Northeast Downtown Neighbor...
- Ever Vigilant
- Go here to subscribe:
- Finally, the weekend
- NEIGHBORHOOD LIAISON UPDATES
- CAR BREAK-INS, SHOTS FIRED
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.