Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Editorial by Phil Goodstein
The entire municipal campaign has been lethargic. Indeed. death has been the most defining aspect of any of the city council campaigns. In particular, Carla Madison, who was racked by terminal cancer and in hospice care, managed to cloak her illness until her recent passing while running unopposed for re-election.
Instead of raising questions about the integrity of a candidate who sought to cling to a post when her health did not permit it, the eulogies to Madison have been so intense that apparently the 3500 east block of Madison Street is named in her honor. At no time during her tenure on council did she loudly raise her voice against the sellout of the city’s parks to private interests. the turning of Denver into a virtual armed police camp for the coronation of Barack Obama, the continued out-of-control role of the police, or a tax system that assures continual financial crises. On the contrary, Madison was always a vote for the status quo. No wonder she has reaped such praise.
A sitting council member has not lost re-election since 1987. The cowardice of political activists in taking on Madison, despite knowing she was desperately ill, has left the voters of her district with the convoluted choices of opportunists presented by write-in candidates. Those afraid to stand up against her when she was alive have shown they lack the character to challenge the dismal status quo. Seen in this light, it is better to leave Madison’s seat vacant, assuring that nobody will betray the interests of the voters while failing to provide a vision or alternative direction to a lurching, lifeless community.
Note: The Naysayers next meet on Saturday, May 7, Enzo’s Pizza, 3424 Colfax (between Cook and Madison) 5:30 PM. Subscriptions to the print version of the Naysayer are available for $10/year.
at 9:26 AM
- Plutonium: The Jefferson Parkway's biggest problem...
- The crux of the ranchers' beef with our federal go...
- OK, quit whining about how many candidates there a...
- Why Michael Hancock should not be Mayor of Denver
- Report from the District 8 write-in frenzy
- OK, Albus Brooks gets it.
- My other reality
- Somebody for Council District 8
- Nobody for Council District 8
- Sen. Mike Johnston at Denver Dems calls for grassr...
- Dopers for Doug and other passing thoughts
- Rep. Diana DeGette: Inmates have taken over asylum...
- Open letter to Mayor Vidal
- Mayor manages city, not schools
- Juanita Gable Gets It.
- Write-in Watson
- Watson comments on the write-in process
- Write-in News at District 8
- Doug Linkhart for Mayor
- Write-in Watson for Council District 8
- Council District 8 Write-in Candidates
- Write-in Frenzy at Council District 8
- Saturday Special - Wendy Woo at City Park
- Public Review Draft of Northeast Downtown Neighbor...
- Ever Vigilant
- Go here to subscribe:
- Finally, the weekend
- NEIGHBORHOOD LIAISON UPDATES
- CAR BREAK-INS, SHOTS FIRED
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.