Monday, November 28, 2011
We went down to the Civic Center Park Friday evening for the Sand Creek Healing Ceremony held at the Wheel sculpture in front of the Art Museum. A group of about 50 Indians gathered to conduct this solemn remembrance of the Chivington Massacre in 1873.
We strolled over to the Occupy Denver site and caught some footage of a GA with a group of about 20 talking about getting a source of power to recharge their batteries, and their dedication to the movement. It was cold, and about 20 other Occupiers had turned in for the night, doing the best that they could under the circumstances dictated by Mayor Hancock and the Denver Police Department (no structures!)
Knowing that these folks are out there every night weighs heavily on me. I’ve taken coats and tarps and plastic and food donations down there from time to time, but much of it has been swept away by the DPD raids. They are down to a bare minimum, and you’ll get a ticket if you stop on Broadway to drop off donations. A minimum of 6 police cars seems to be there all the time. Selective enforcement of the law to the max!
It takes dedication to subject yourself to these conditions if you have a choice. Some of these folks have little choice, and some could go home tonight if they wanted to. But they don’t. I’ve heard that there is an Occupy Denver house where some are staying, but I’ve had no verification of that.
The biggest crowd was in the park for the Christmas lighting of the City and County building. I’ve never understood Denver’s urge to light this building with the most garish display of all time, and I marvel at those who come out to see it every year. I could hear the crowd oooing and the bells playing, but I really had no desire to participate.
The 3 events added together in an unpleasant way. America – land of contradictions!
at 4:52 PM
- Philly cops use "Trigger" in Occupy crowd control
- Occupy LA preparing for police invasion
- Occupy Unity takes over Washington State capitol i...
- Occupy Denver Friday, Nov 25, 2011
- PRESS RELEASE
- HOLIDAY IN THE POINTS LIGHTS UP WELTON STREET
- 13th Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing ...
- Denver Police Urge Reporting Suspicious Actions Do...
- Occupy Denver live stream now
- Occupy Denver 11-17-11
- OWS taking over the streets in NYC
- Nov 17th - A day of live streaming
- Occupy Denver - Be There
- Living (and driving) in a police state
- Occupy Wall Street under siege
- ACTION ALERT: Board of Health Patient Rulemaking H...
- Paul M. Levitt: Homage to Adrienne Anderson
- DPD war on tents (and tables)
- Occupy Denver reponds to ongoing police brutality ...
- Occupy Portland - Live streaming
- Occupy Denver Live Stream
- Adrienne Anderson's Memorial - Nov. 6, 2011
- Developers are targeting open land on the north en...
- OCCUPY DENVER ELECTS LEADER
- Occupy Denver 11-3-11:"Livin' in the Land Where th...
- Boulder, Colorado Occupies the Ballot Box and Call...
- OCCUPY DENVER HONORS VETERANS & TAKES ACTION AGAIN...
- Michael Moore to visit Occupy Denver
- DABC update from 3 weeks of social war in Denver, ...
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.