Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Civic Center Park
Friday, 31 Jan 2014, 4:30 PM
We are not alone! Millions of people across the globe who realize the damage the TPP would do our lives are going to stage a coordinated protest against the Trans-Pacific Partnership Act (TPP) on January 31st. Although the text of the bill is classified, we have learned enough from leaks to know that it would spell the end of our democracy.
MoveOn Denver Metro council has held three actions to protest the TPP and have contributed to the fight to prevent a “fast track” vote that would require our legislators to vote yes or no on the bill without knowing anything about it or being able to discuss or amend it. We have stopped the fast track vote twice, but the multinational corporations that wrote the bill with their profits in mind will be pressuring Congress to vote on it again fairly soon. If we want to stop it, and it is critical to every single issue we believe in that we do so, we need to educate the public about what it contains and urge them to pressure their legislators to vote against it. We keep fighting and educating and we invite you to join us.
Message from host: We will hold a honk and wave action on January 31 with signs and handouts to educate the public about the bill. Come to Civic Center Park at Broadway and Colfax, west sidewalk at 4:30 to join the honk and wave. If you can come early, pick up some handouts at the park and distribute them on the mall at quitting time.
To quote Margaret Flowers who has helped spearhead this movement, “the TPP affects many issues, among them worker’s rights and wages; environmental collapse and climate change; sovereignty of nations and democratic rule of law; Internet freedom and online creativity; food safety and agriculture; health care and financial regulation including controls over the flow of capital. This is an opportunity for everyone working on these issues and more to join together in unity to stop the TPP… The only groups helped by these trade agreements are big transnational corporations who get cheap labor, avoid environmental regulations, and have inexpensive access to resources.“
To learn more go to: www.flushthetpp.org or www.stopthetpp.org or www.popularresistance.org. Public Citizen also has some good information on their website. Then make a sign about the impact of this bill on your favorite progressive issue and join us. We will be joined by activists from other groups that want to protect our freedom and sovereignty.
at 5:00 PM
Submit for publication: I consider any emails I receive to be publishable unless otherwise indicated e.g. (FYI ONLY, DO NOT PUBLISH, NOT FOR PUBLICATION. ETC.) [email protected]
- COLORADO DRUGGED DRIVERS INVOLVED IN FATAL CRASHES...
- US 36 fifty-year privatization contract to be sign...
- Sonny Lawson Park Playground Installation
- Intercontinental Day of Protest Against the TPP
- US 36 Privatization Town Hall Meeting - Fri Jan 31...
- COLORADO STATE MINIMUM WAGE - Keeping up with infl...
- Perlmutter seeks more congressional involvement on...
- CRIME ALERT
- Publicopoly - WHAT?
- "Fight on!" vows Not 1 More Acre! as ban on DOD's ...
- We have to report you if you ask
- How long do YOU want to live?
- Highway 36 - Fifty Year Privatization Contract to ...
- Oxycontin - 17,000 deaths last year
- Exciting News!!
- I-70 will be privatized in a $1.1 billion dollar d...
- COUNCILMAN BROWN LAYS DOWN THE LAW
- CRIME ALERT - 700 BLOCK OF W. 11TH AVE
- HICKENLOOPER AND HORSES
- Colorado Highways are Being SOLD OFF
- THE DAY WE FIGHT BACK AGAINST MASS SURVEILLANCE
- Denver Mayor has approved the development plan (GD...
- Construction starts on DPS school being built in t...
- City Loop project at City Park
- Sign the Petition to Reject 20 and 12-story buildi...
- HERE COMES THE 4/20 TRAIN - VIDEO
- HERE COMES THE 4/20 TRAIN - Jan 13, 2014
Senator Irene Aguilar, MD P.O. Box 27424, De...
- FOR FEDERAL WORKERS (FOREST SERVICE) RE: POT
- PARKS AND REC INSULTING TO DONOHUE (Part 2)
- Denver’s Neighborhood Voice in the Wilderness
- Central Denver Recreation Center Press Conference
- A WAKE-UP CALL FOR GOVERNOR HICKENLOOPER
- LIST OF CURRENTLY ACTIVE DENVER POT SHOPS
- City Park West Neighborhood Meeting This Wednesday...
- PARKS AND REC INSULTING TO DONOHUE, CALLS FOR APOL...
- SO FAR, SO GOOD
Got a tip? Information? Press release? Contact us by email -Editor@DenverDirect.tv
Who we are:
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.