Monday, January 13, 2014
Opinion by Gerald Trumbule
Denver City Council’s Special Issues Committee – Amendment 64 Marijuana, just adjourned. It was a doozy of a meeting and I’ll be putting select clips from the Ch 8 coverage up here. In the meantime, here are some details.
After they took a recess for a swearing-in, Council reconvened to consider the upcoming annual 4/20 celebration, you know, the Civic Center Park get together where everyone lights up a joint at 4:20 to celebrate…that they can.
Theories abound as to the significance of the number 420, but the real purpose of the event has always been for the stoners to demonstrate to the world …that they can. Yes, despite the irrational laws prohibiting this minor intoxicant, we are going to ingest it right in front of you! THIS IS A FORM OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE. When pot was illegal, but at the same time becoming more tolerated and the 4/20 Celebration grew to thousands, the cops had the sense to do nothing.
At this meeting, DPD Chief White seemed, as he usually does, to be the only adult in the room. He has a certain demeanor, not exactly a sly smile, but one that confirms that “we all know what we are talking about here folks: 100 cops are not going to do anything when 60,000 people light up, but our intent is to write citations when the law is broken”. And you know what we mean by intent – we’d like to, but for public safety reasons, we can’t. Jeanne Fats didn’t seem satisfied with that and Jeanne Rob fixated on “the transfer” of pot to kids at the celebration – what?. Robin Kneich repeated made it clear that she trusts White to do the right thing.
Chris Nevitt, ever the realist, suggested that a permit be granted for pot smoking on that day and place. You know, like is done with alcohol? Duh! Seems like an obvious solution, but no! Charlie Brown says that if we do that then we’ll have to start granting licenses “on Saint Patty’s Day and Cinco de Mayo and…” Gee, that would be “like alcohol” wouldn’t it.
I don’t want to give everything away – you’ll be able to see for your self here soon.
at 6:06 PM
- COLORADO DRUGGED DRIVERS INVOLVED IN FATAL CRASHES...
- US 36 fifty-year privatization contract to be sign...
- Sonny Lawson Park Playground Installation
- Intercontinental Day of Protest Against the TPP
- US 36 Privatization Town Hall Meeting - Fri Jan 31...
- COLORADO STATE MINIMUM WAGE - Keeping up with infl...
- Perlmutter seeks more congressional involvement on...
- CRIME ALERT
- Publicopoly - WHAT?
- "Fight on!" vows Not 1 More Acre! as ban on DOD's ...
- We have to report you if you ask
- How long do YOU want to live?
- Highway 36 - Fifty Year Privatization Contract to ...
- Oxycontin - 17,000 deaths last year
- Exciting News!!
- I-70 will be privatized in a $1.1 billion dollar d...
- COUNCILMAN BROWN LAYS DOWN THE LAW
- CRIME ALERT - 700 BLOCK OF W. 11TH AVE
- HICKENLOOPER AND HORSES
- Colorado Highways are Being SOLD OFF
- THE DAY WE FIGHT BACK AGAINST MASS SURVEILLANCE
- Denver Mayor has approved the development plan (GD...
- Construction starts on DPS school being built in t...
- City Loop project at City Park
- Sign the Petition to Reject 20 and 12-story buildi...
- HERE COMES THE 4/20 TRAIN - VIDEO
- HERE COMES THE 4/20 TRAIN - Jan 13, 2014
Senator Irene Aguilar, MD P.O. Box 27424, De...
- FOR FEDERAL WORKERS (FOREST SERVICE) RE: POT
- PARKS AND REC INSULTING TO DONOHUE (Part 2)
- Denver’s Neighborhood Voice in the Wilderness
- Central Denver Recreation Center Press Conference
- A WAKE-UP CALL FOR GOVERNOR HICKENLOOPER
- LIST OF CURRENTLY ACTIVE DENVER POT SHOPS
- City Park West Neighborhood Meeting This Wednesday...
- PARKS AND REC INSULTING TO DONOHUE, CALLS FOR APOL...
- SO FAR, SO GOOD
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.