Sunday, July 27, 2014
Special to Denver Direct by Dave Felice
In an extremely rare display of bipartisanship and unanimity, all seven members of Colorado’s house delegation have signed a congressional letter supporting “Buy American” provisions in foreign trade treaties.
The letter – signed by Democrats Diana DeGette, Jared Polis, and Ed Perlmutter, by Republicans Scott Tipton, Cory Gardner, Doug Lamborn, and Mike Coffman – urges President Barack Obama to reconsider provisions in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) treaty that would severely hamper long-standing domestic purchasing policies.
According to the letter’s authors, Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD) and Walter B. Jones (R-NC), the current TPP provisions would have a disastrous impact on American workers, jobs, and manufacturers, and would result in sending of billions of U.S. tax dollars overseas.
The full text of the letter can be found here.
The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a massive trade treaty currently being secretively negotiated among the U.S. and ten Pacific Rim nations, including Japan, Australia, and Vietnam.
The treaty contains highly controversial provisions which would encourage corporations to send jobs overseas, flood U.S. markets with imported food products of questionable quality, undermine Internet freedom, and empower corporations to attack environmental and health safeguards.
Pointing to the failures of the 20-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), critics term the TPP “NAFTA on steroids.” Opponents of the TPP say corporate interests are using a “Trojan horse” strategy of branding negotiations as “trade talks” to impose many non-trade policies that would undermine basic needs and rights of Americans.
Both Republicans and Democrats – in a broad spectrum of public interests from agriculture to religion – are opposing the TPP.
at 12:28 PM
- Community Rights - a new way of taking back our po...
- The Ugly Politics of Being the Change
- Agenda - Chive Fest Denver Neighborhood Meeting wi...
- Your Rights (Colorado Constitution)
- DENVER ZOO'S RESPONSE TO UPCOMING CHIVE FEST
- BUY AMERICAN
- Hiring of police for the 16th Street Mall is refle...
- Denver Zoning Code Text Amendment 15 for Residenti...
- Amendment to the Denver Revised Municipal Code, Ch...
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the pr...
- City Charter § 2.4.5 - Sale and leasing of parks.
- IMPROVEMENTS CONTINUE OUTSIDE THE MUSEUM
- CHIVE FEST TOWN MEETING WED. JULY 30th
- CHIVE FEST PERMIT NOT YET GRANTED AS OF 5:45 PM, M...
- KING SOOPERS RECALL ALERT - PEACHES, NECTARINES, P...
- Albus Brooks (Denver City Councilman) and Downtown...
- KEEP CALM AND CHIVE OFF - THE HANCOCK RULE
- CHIVE FEST PERMIT NOT YET GRANTED AS OF 10:45 AM, ...
- DENVER SET TO PULL IN THE BIG BUCKS WHEN CHIVE FES...
- City Park Friends And Neighbors (CPFAN.org) weighs...
- DENVER'S FREE-WHEELING PARKS AND REC DEPARTMENT
- Congress Park Street Repaving
- Join us in Denver as we rally in support of the EP...
- You Don't Have to Put Panels on Your Roof - Commun...
- CHIVE FEST - BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ANIMALS?
- CHIVE FEST - BEER BRANDING EFFORT IN CITY PARK, DE...
- MORE CHIVE FEST DETAILS
- CHIVE FEST - NO, IT'S NOT A PRANK, BUT DENVER PARK...
- IS CHIVE FEST IN DENVER A HOAX?
- New Bicycle Registration Program for the Denver Po...
- Filming in Denver Parks requires permit
- ACTION ALERT - STOP THE MASSACRE ON PALESTINE
- Brutal Jailers and Brutal Rulers - from July, 2014...
- New Law re: Colorado Open Records Act
- Jokesters in July
- Tours by Phil Goodstein - July-October 2014 Schedu...
CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE
All of the work on this site, including the original YouTube videos by www.DenverDirect.tv, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Click on the symbol above for explanation.